Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Book Reviews

Here is another of my dad's book reviews:

10/04 Clint gave 4 stars to: Cities of the Plain (Border Trilogy, Vol 3) by Cormac McCarthy
status: Read in September, 2009

I often think about the ending of this book. Being a McCarthy aficionado I read it in 1995 when it was published. It is my favorite of the Border Trilogy books and like the other two stands on its' own with the support of the other books

add a comment
10/04 Clint gave 4 stars to: The Crossing (Border Trilogy, Vol 2) by Cormac McCarthy
status: Read in October, 2009

My least favorite of the border trilogy, mainly because of the opening section with the wolf. I find this to be too unrealistic (I do not expect McCarthy to be totally realistic but this is too much), too long, often awkwardly written, and just not a well told story.

After the wolf leaves the stage, I find the book much better. Some of the digressions with the people Billy meets seem forced and too long, but that is a minor quibble.

McCarthy often makes me think that humans are unneeded interlopers on the world and The Crossing does this as much as any of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment